Post by: Gigi Engle
We all have them, even if we don’t want to admit it. We’ve all been in relationships with guys who’ve treated us like nothing.
Why would a girl date a guy who was a total douche? We don’t ever want to be treated like sh*t; we want to have partners who are good for us, and we want to have healthy relationships. Right? RIGHT?!
The thing about assh*les is it isn’t exactly easy to decipher their assh*leness straight from the get-go — hence the reason we end up dating them… for embarrassingly long periods of time.
Little by little (OK, sometimes all at once) their true nature comes to the forefront. Soon, all of your friends hate the guy you’re dating and you’re constantly complaining about him.
Even so, you don’t break up with him.
Once you’re in a relationship, it isn’t easy to just let go and walk away. This person has trapped you in his web, and your infatuation makes you want to hold on with all your might.
You want to see the good in him, so you focus on the rare moments of kindness and sweetness.
And when he’s acting like a dick, you choose to make excuses to every person you know — including yourself — to keep him around instead of cutting him loose.
Your heart wants what it wants, and no amount of lecturing from your BFF or your mom is going to change your mind.
It’s like you’re wearing assh*le goggles, and only you can’t see what a nightmare your boyfriend is. You grow accustomed to being walked all over, yelled at and insulted.
The cycle of abuse is a finicky thing. Don’t worry, we’ve all been there.
Eventually, you’ll have too much of his abuse and constant bullsh*t, and you’ll dump him out onto the cold, hard street. Eventually.
But for now, here are 47 lies every girl tells herself when she’s dating an assh*le. And don’t roll your eyes at me because you know you’ve said all of these things.
- He’s just in a bad mood today.
- He said I look “fat,” but he took me on a date yesterday.
- BUT I LOVE HIM!
- He just has trouble processing his emotions.
- He makes me happy most of the time.
- My friends just don’t know him like I do.
- My sister just doesn’t know him like I do.
- My mom just doesn’t know him like I do.
- The entire human population just doesn’t know him like I do.
- He might have bad manners, but he wasn’t raised like I was.
- He might insult me, but he comes from a troubled home.
- He just had a rough day.
- I know he’d ask me about my day if he weren’t so pissed off.
- He just hates his job.
- He’ll find a new job.
- He’ll finish college just like he said he would. Someday.
- I can change him.
- He didn’t mean it.
- Tomorrow, everything will be better.
- He didn’t mean to call me a slut, he just doesn’t like this dress on me.
- It was my fault.
- Everything is my fault.
- My friends are just jealous.
- If I do “X” thing, he’ll finally realize how much I mean to him.
- It’s OK he won’t hold my hand in public, he just doesn’t like PDA.
- No relationship is perfect.
- We’re just having a rough patch.
- No, no he was joking. He has a dry sense of humor.
- If I just stick it out a little longer, things will get better.
- I can’t always be “happy.”
- He keeps me on my toes.
- He’ll keep his promise next time.
- He’d never want anyone else.
- He’s good for a “college boyfriend.”
- He’s rude to every other girl except me.
- He has my best interest at heart.
- He cares about me, he just doesn’t show it all the time.
- He’s mad about that thing I did.
- He’s mad about that thing I said.
- He didn’t ignore my call, he’s just been stressed out lately.
- We only fight all the time because we’re passionate.
- We’re not mismatched, we just challenge each other.
- This relationship isn’t doomed to fail.
- Nice guys aren’t as much fun.
- It’s normal for his “ex-girlfriend” to text him throughout the day.
- I’m the crazy one.
- He makes me laugh when he isn’t making me cry.